Warning: dangerous nibbles
The Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety is currently warning of the risk of injury from several products with pumpkin seeds. Apparently, fragments of glass got between the cores during production, which were then processed in various foods. Several products with pumpkin seeds from the manufacturer "Seidl Confiserie GmbH" are affected. The said articles are sold through online retail and through the shop in Laaber.
As the Federal Office of Consumer Protection announces on its consumer protection portal "lebensmittelwarnung.de", there is currently a risk of injury from broken glass in various products of the "Seidl Confiserie", primarily via the online shop "www.seidl-confiserie.de" and the company's own shop in Laaber was sold. The affected products are explained in more detail below.
Which products are affected?
According to information from Seidl Confiserie GmbH from Laaber, all affected goods can be identified by batch number 17 / 511-18 / 311. The following items are being recalled due to existing health hazards caused by broken glass:
- Chocolate heart White chocolate pithy fruity, 80 grams item number 10136, best before dates August 30, 2018 to January 30, 2019
- Chocolate heart, dark and bitter, fruity, 80 grams, item number 10466, best before date January 30, 2019
- Chocolate heart whole milk pithy fruity, 80 grams item number 10510, best before date January 30, 2019
- Pumpkin seeds wasabi in a tin, 125 grams, article number 10836, best before date April 30, 2019
- Pumpkin seeds chili in a tin, 125 grams, article number 10894, best before date April 30, 2019
- Pumpkin seed curry in a tin, 125 grams, item number 10898, best before date April 30, 2019
- Baking mix bread, 370 grams, article number 11100, best before date November 30, 2018
- Stangerl ZB Florentine pumpkin seeds Pekan, 50 grams, item number 11370, best before date January 30, 2019
- Stangerl VM Florentine pumpkin seeds Pekan, 50 grams, item number 11434, best before date January 30, 2019
- Pumpkin seeds whole milk, 200 grams, article number 11491, best before date April 30, 2019
- Pumpkin seeds mixed, 200 grams, article number 11554, best before date April 30, 2019
According to the manufacturer, the risk of injury is rather low
According to the manufacturer, the risk of injury is relatively low because very few pieces of glass were found. The company believes that the splinters have already been removed by the company's quality controls. Nevertheless, a risk of injury cannot be ruled out 100 percent. The purchased items can be returned in the shop against reimbursement of the purchase price or sent by post to Seidl Confiserie GmbH, Reiserweg 2, 93164 Laber.
What are the risks of injury from eating?
Foreign bodies in food can cause various injuries and sufferings. Swallowed vitreous bodies can, depending on their size and shape, cause wounds in the mouth and throat when chewed. Damage to teeth and gums is also conceivable. If a piece of glass gets into the airways, there is a risk of so-called foreign body aspiration. This can manifest itself, among other things, by irritable cough, hoarseness and difficulty breathing, up to shortness of breath. If the swallowed fragments remain in the body, there is a risk of inflammation. Likewise, digestive or stomach problems and internal injuries cannot be excluded. Anyone who has health problems after eating the pumpkin seed products should immediately consult a doctor. (vb)